0

GPU Shipments Skyrocketed In Q1 2021 Amid Red Hot PC Demand

rtx 3080 ti

Discrete graphics playing cards are arduous to search out at the retail marketplace, as current-generation NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics playing cards are perennially out of inventory. Alternatively, new research from Jon Peddie Analysis (JPR) displays that in spite of the provision shortfalls that infuriate gaming fans, shipments are up year-over-year.

In step with the company, total GPU shipments ballooned through just about 35 % throughout Q1 2021 in comparison to Q1 2020. Alternatively, whilst the expansion in comparison to the similar quarter used to be reasonably outstanding, total GPU unit shipments lowered somewhat (0.3 %) in comparison to This fall 2020, in step with the document (which is the standard seasonal shift).

jpr chats
Total GPU marketplace proportion in step with JPR.

On the subject of total GPU marketplace proportion, which incorporates processors from AMD and Intel with built-in graphics, Intel led the marketplace with a 68.18 % proportion throughout Q1 2021. AMD used to be in 2d position with a 16.65 % proportion, and NVIDIA rounded out the highest 3 with 15.17 %. The truth that NVIDIA is nipping at AMD’s heels when it most effective sells discrete GPUs is reasonably telling relating to its graphics dominance.

jpr charts 2
Discrete GPU marketplace proportion.

The commanding lead in graphics is much more obvious while you glance only at discrete graphics. Throughout Q1 2021, NVIDIA commanded a whopping 81 % of the discrete GPU marketplace, with AMD shooting the remainder 19 %. Intel, in fact, isn’t but an important participant on this house. The corporate introduced its discrete DG1 in restricted amounts throughout Q1 2021, however Intel is predicted to make a larger splash later this yr (or perhaps, in 2022) with the Xe-HPG DG2 discrete gaming GPU.

RELATED  Nintendo Switch Pro Custom Orin SoC Rumors Point To Huge DLSS-Infused Performance Uplift

Regardless of the chip shortages and ensuing call for, JPR cautions towards an trade overreaction to recent marketplace stipulations. “The danger is that semiconductor providers will likely be lured into over-reaction and imagine that all at once 100s of tens of millions of recent customers have seemed and the call for will keep top,” mentioned JPR President Jon Peddie. “That isn’t most effective no longer sensible, it is usually no longer true—the place are they coming from—no longer this planet?”

Issues are these days so dangerous within the GPU marketplace that entry-level playing cards just like the GeForce RTX 3060 are right now promoting at triple its MSRP at the secondary marketplace. For instance, the GeForce RTX 3080, which carries an MSRP of $699, often sells for over $2,000. The GeForce RTX 3090, alternatively, can simply most sensible $3,000 on marketplaces like eBay towards an MSRP of $1,499. Sadly, the location is not significantly better for AMD Radeon RX 6000 Sequence discrete graphics playing cards.

reza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *